Saturday, February 22, 2014

Keeping Up Appearances

A number of items have made their way across my desk that demand a post about the importance of appearances.

First up, an essence.com interview with Lupita Nyong'o. See the final bit about taking a picture.

Then, a sweet editorial by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, "Why Can't A Smart Woman Love Fashion?" in Elle magazine. Quotable: "I grew up, after all, in a world in which a woman's seriousness was not incompatible with an interest in appearance; if anything, an interest in appearance was expected of women who wanted to be taken seriously."

So you know where this is going, right? My beloved theory girls. They've remarked, with fascination, that I seem to care just as much as they do about what I wear while volunteering. Networks of affinity...




No comments:

Post a Comment